Thursday, April 30, 2009

Coming To The End


When a class is miserably boring it doesn't go by fast enough; when a class produces interest it ends too soon. The issue is, at least in my case, it's difficult to identify which classes those are before the withdraw (with tuition refund) date comes. Now to be fair there is ample time to withdraw from the course without academic penalty after this date. But the way I see it, if I just spent $315 (this is the approximate price of
one three credit course at TCC), I might as well try to stick it out and do the best I can. But luckily for me my English 111 class didn't create these or any regrets.

It started off fairly similar to how I start all my classes. You know, that mentality that you're gonna do exceptionally well and do all the necessary work... maybe even learn. The only significant differences this time was I was "with child," as in pregnant, and working as a manager at a highly stressful environment- retail. But like many other working students school does not mean I don't have ends to make meet with added tuition costs.

With those being the only differences, I went in with simple expectations. For my Math 158 (College Algebra) class I expected to learn college level algebra; for my World History 111 class I expected to learn the world's history during that time period; and for my English 111 class I expected to learn how to and be a better writer. All simple requests really.

Well, no brown-nosing intended, English was my favorite class. My SDV 100 class falls in second because I had a great teacher and it was super easy. The only issue with that class was that it wasn't interesting, and I personally felt that the course is a replica of Freshmen Orientation (FOCUS), with the exception of it lasting 3-4 weeks instead of a few hours, receiving a credit for it, and having to pay for it. Although one had to be a registered student to attend FOCUS so the latter might not really apply. Math was a big review of past math learned in high school, and history reaped nothing, which explains why I'm having to retake it.   

First impressions, first seven to thirty seconds, are key for everyone but especially those who are to influence or inspire others. This was well achieved by Mr. Paul Gasparo. He acted as if he was a student, even conversing with another student who was talking negatively of another professor, all while the class was wondering where he was at for about fifteen minutes. Once students were debating on and actually leaving, he went to the front of the class and exposed himself. The entire class was stupefied. Afterwards he had us participate in an activity which we were to suggest words to describe him. When a fair list of words were written he had us explain and provide proof, if possible, to how they related to him.  Now it may have seem meaningless at the time but used this same lesson to lay ground for our first assignment.

Going through each and every assignment would make this entry more than 700 words, so I am just going to briefly describe and explain the lessons learned. Now being adherent to his audience, Paul used and made material that most of the class would understand which made it effective. Examples of such included watching movies, such as Supersize Me and X-Men, to recognize elements of rhetoric (ethos, pathos, logos) and cite the use of synthesis. And to reiterate and confirm the assignment he would have us make a presentation along with the essay. These presentations (usually by powerpoint) not only continued what we learned but made us utilize other important things, such as the practice of creative thinking and delivery.   

Everything was going as planned until Akira, my daughter, decided to do things her way during her stay in the womb. Fortunately enough Paul understood and allowed me a very, very gracious extension (again, to put it nicely, no brown nosing intended) hence forth my current flux of blogs. But to genuinely sum up my experience in English 111, my expectations were met and then some. If I had to, even though I pray I won't need to, I would take Paul's class again. (Don't allow this to inflate the ego too much now Paul)




Related Sites:



No comments: